[LMB] Grays

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Fri Nov 20 18:02:55 GMT 2020

On Fri, November 20, 2020 11:52 am, Jean Lamb wrote:
> Although to have fun with the subject, one of the worst things a person
> could do would be to make Mark a Gray Lensman; in the universe, they can
> requisition anything they need (or want, nobody seems to worry if Kimball
> Kinnison goes nuts at the ice cream counter), but what do they actually
> *possess* besides the uniform or the Lens?

I'm fairly sure that the Arisians would never make a Lens for Mark or
Miles Vorkosigan.  (Lord Auditor Vorthys, on the other hand, would
probably qualify.  Cordelia, too, if not for that whole gender-related
thingy --
but that's another can of worms.)

> A question for the list mind...how would Mark react?

Mark being made a Gray Lensman... somehow?  I think he'd be exceedingly
frightened of the responsibility, but would proceed along his normal
lines of approach.  Which would not be military, but I could see him
infiltrating the Boskonian Empire from the financial/industrial side
instead of the military/political one.  Would be a very interesting legal
thriller...

(Still not sure the Arisians would make a Lens for him, mind you.)

And where would the Boskonians start their infiltration into the wormhole
network, hmmm?  (No, not Cetaganda -- that's too easy.  Cetagandans would
be on the side of Civilization.  Nor Jackson's Whole -- too messy for the
Eddorians.)

Tony Zbaraschuk

--
Et vocavit Deus, "Fiat lux!"