[LMB] OT: Money, WGW

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Fri Nov 20 19:22:49 GMT 2020

> On Nov 20, 2020, at 11:36 AM, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 1:19 PM Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
>
>> When society gets taxed to pay for such costs as clean-up, that price was
>> subsidized by people who weren’t part of that transaction.
>>

> And because large power groups have a great deal more influence than
> individual citizens, governments somehow find themselves shifting more and
> more burdens onto people who aren't involved.  "Privatizing profits,
> publicizing costs" is how it's often known by critics.

That’s true.   But we also have a long history of not having to worry about many of our environmental costs.   Smaller impacts can be self-correcting in many environments.

Other shared costs really can’t be included except by shared taxes.

The tougher issue is persuading people to pay today instead of having our grandchildren pay much more later.