[LMB] OT: Arecibo

WalterStuartBushell proto at panix.com
Sun Nov 22 17:22:59 GMT 2020

> On Nov 22, 2020, at 11:33 AM, Greg Hennessy <greg.hennessy at cox.net> wrote:
>

> On 11/21/20 7:06 PM, Pouncer via Lois-Bujold wrote:
>> Of the famous telescope, Harvey wrote:
>> Harvey
>> > BUILD IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>> I think the next comparably sized 'scope
>> should be in a much better location. Like,
>> maybe, the far side of Luna.
>> It's sort of like the "anchor store" at a mall.

> (top post moved) How many zeros would that add to the cost?obs

I cannot estimate, but the result would be astronomical; exceeding the
cost of Komarr’s solar mirror  given Nexus technology by orders of magnitude
given ours.
Also it would take decades of space infrastructure to begin working on the base
supporting the observatory.

Currently we don’t have Moon capabilities that we had with Apollo where the
trips were ephemeral at best.

—
Jeff Bezos got divorced because he realized his marriage was a union.