[LMB] Details in Science Fiction

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Sun Nov 22 18:46:59 GMT 2020

I’m reading two Science Fiction novels right now that illustrated an issue with having details in science fiction.

One is the 1962 novel (that I read when it was new), “The Defiant Agents”.    The alien artifact that the American found and want to keep away from the reds used tapes.   (with recordings of some sort).

The other is the 2020 Hugo winner (which I am enjoying), “A Memory Called Empire”, that has an old, interstellar empire —with tea bags and a shower with the soaps and stuff that I see in contemporary America.

Detail like that works in contemporary fiction.   And it works when it doesn’t mess up in historical fiction.    But needs to be disguised in futuristic science fiction.