[LMB] OT: Arecibo

Markus Baur baur at chello.at
Sun Nov 22 18:49:59 GMT 2020

Am 22.11.2020 um 18:54 schrieb Pouncer via Lois-Bujold:
> Howard advises:
>

> >One of the functions Arecibo excels in is tracking asteroids
> >well enough to warn us of possible dangers to us.
>
> Oh.  I had been under the impression that OPTICAL telescopes
> were somehow better at picking out dead ice and rocks in
> local environments, while RADIO-telescopes like Arecibo were
> more stellar ... so to speak.

initial detection and initial determinatation of the orbit usually is
optical .. what arecibo did excell at was refining the orbit (among
other things by determining the speed of the asteroids VERY exactly via
doppler radar) and could also give via its radar some more indformation
on shape and composition

losing arecibo for this purpose will hurt, but is no catastrophe

servus

markus