[LMB] OT: Arecibo

David McMillan skyefire at skyefire.org
Mon Nov 23 00:41:21 GMT 2020

On 11/22/2020 12:54 PM, Pouncer via Lois-Bujold wrote:
> Oh.  I had been under the impression that OPTICAL telescopes
> were somehow better at picking out dead ice and rocks in
> local environments, while RADIO-telescopes like Arecibo were
> more stellar ... so to speak.  Okay.

    Optical for survey, but Arecibo (being the only /active/
radiotelescope in anything close to its size) can collect much better
trajectory data, faster, once someone locates a rock that warrants
getting /good/ trajectory data, /fast/.

    So, wide-scanning optical telescopes for early warning, higher-zoom
narrower-field optical for confirmation, then, if warranted, other
'scopes to collect detailed data.  (I am, of course, eliding a great
deal of detail here).