[LMB] OT: Arecibo

Markus Baur baur at chello.at
Mon Nov 23 15:29:06 GMT 2020

let us take the arecibo design as plubeprint and look where we can
reduce mass

the dish itself can be made from very lightweight aluminized foil (it
does not have to deal with wind and rain) - this also means that the
anchor cables for the dish can be made a lot thinner.

we also might not make the cables (both for the dish and the gondola)
from aluminium or steel - modern synthetics like Spectra offer a much
better weight / strength ratio

the receiver gondola suspended over the dish also does not have to deal
with weather ..

so i would not be surprised if it could be built with only 1/10 of the
mass of the original

total weight of the arecibo observatory seems to be around 1500 tons ..
so a lunar arecibo would be around 150 tons

and that is not completely out of bounds, if SpaceX gets the lunar
version of the Starship to work (estimated paylaod to lunar surface
aruond 40 tons .. 4 flights .. getting the resto of the necessary
infrastructure (quarters for construction and maintenance crew,
constructrion machinery, etc. ) up might take even more paylaod than the
telescope itself

servus

markus