[LMB] Money (eventually on topic)

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Mon Nov 23 21:00:17 GMT 2020

On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 13:40:06 -0500, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Types of materials, like gold, silver, platinum, or
>gemstones are valuable only because we value them - and in many cases they
>have their particular value only because of market manipulation.

Not entirely true.  Gold is scarce (less than an Olympic swimming-pool
full on Earth).  But it's also pretty, and more importantly, very
resistant to corrosion.  And even if it were not valued for that. it's
an important industrial metal, as are silver and platinum.

We *could* attribute arbitrary value to a 27-foot rubber disk, or some
sort of shell, but it's important that it should present some difficulty
in making your own.  Otherwise, you end up with the HHGTTG scenario,
where the leaf was used as currency, and you end up with three major
deciduous forests being the price of a sandwich.
--
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever
that it is not utterly absurd;  indeed in view of the silliness of the majority