[LMB] Dragging Arecibo onto topic

Pouncer pouncer at aol.com
Tue Nov 24 00:01:14 GMT 2020

Markus Baur quotes, er, somebody, and responds:

 >> The far side of the moon is much better protected from Earth
 >>based radiations.   And the very slow rotation period of the
 >>moon makes it much, much easier to have super long exposures.

 >the slow rotation speed is both and advantage(as above) and a
 >curse, as it will take about 14 days (or longer, depending on
 >how much the telescope can steer away from zenith) until a
 >target can be observed again

Both of which are completely true, and together represent a
good argument for building several. Four, maybe.  One at the
Lunar north pole; one at the leading edge of the equator,
in the direction of orbit; one at the trailing edge; and one
at the south pole. All just behind the horizon.  Just nearside
those working locations there should (eventually will be) the
Earth-side habitat where the people live and work and exchange
text messages and cat videos with family and friends on Earth,
and cables strung over the horizon to the telescopes receiving
radio and radar reflections from, well, everywhere else. If the
engineers come in under initial budget, maybe two more, at 60
degree intervals.  So, six.  Or more.  Why not?

If you build several of anything the lessons learned from the
earlier can be applied to the next. The later constructs will be
better or cheaper or both. Unless you allow the military to
design them, in which case each'll be more durable than the last,
against more newly recognized or imagined kinds of hazards. And
of course each one will cost more.

It's relatively cold in North Texas today and I was wearing my
old US Army field jacket.  I'm smug that, unlike Miles in his
Dendarii Grays, I can get the zipper-and-snaps all closed up on
MY old gear. Though I suspect that miles, returning from his
honeymoon and recovery from Ceta death-drugs at the end of _DI_,
all the extra weight he displayed in _ACC_ will have dropped
away.

Rush and Reed. I swear I didn't look it up. Old memories are on
file but the indexing system is horribly damaged...  One loses
more than weight as one ages.

Yes, cat videos.  I imagine images of cats cavorting in low Lunar
gravity will be QUITE amusing to viewers on Earth. And they'll
need cats on purpose to deal with the rats (or feral canaries)
that they'll have by accident. I am not as sure of the canaries
as I am the cat videos. But because much of Lunar construction
will be underground -- mined -- I wouldn't be surprised.

They'll live in CAVES.  And they'll LIKE it.