[LMB] Details in Science Fiction

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Tue Nov 24 08:13:56 GMT 2020

On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 02:26:44PM -0500, Andras Farkas wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 2:44 PM Karen A. Wyle <kawyle at att.net> wrote:
> >  I've been struggling with what phone-equivalent(s) people will have in twenty or thirty years.
>
> The way I see it, everything is trending toward getting smaller and
> being on and usable all the time (social pressure to never turn your
> phone off, longer battery life, etc) so I imagine it'd be like those
> people today who have earbuds in their ears and their phone in their
> pocket who talk to unseen people while walking, jogging, or in the
> public bathroom -- but more visually streamlined, and physically
> smaller devices.  Perhaps the earbud is the entire phone, with no
> screen included in the box one'd get it in.

Batteries have improved far less than electronics have, so that's one
limit on size.  And even if you can talk intelligibly to your devices,
you don't always want to, and you also need to be able to see things.
While some phones have gotten very small, many others have bounced back
in size, pushing into tablet territory.