[LMB] Fwd: OT: Arecibo

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 13:42:00 GMT 2020

On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 2:41 PM Markus Baur via Lois-Bujold <

> you mean apart from the hugely useful satellites, of course ..

Those do not require human extra-atmospheric transit.  I suspect
construction on the Moon *would* - even with telepresence, you'd want
someone on-site, at least until our remote drone technology got a lot
better.

Cost of launch is a factor, but we also need a willingness to go into space
*to accomplish something*.  Other than making political theater and
demonstrating how easily we could launch nukes to any point on Earth, that
is.  The ISS has been a complete waste, and space scientists have actually
been pretty open about how much they resent spending money on it and its
occupants that could have been spent for a return on research satellites.

People who talk about the romance of exploration miss the point that humans
cannot be the explorers in space.

Matt "Mr. Roboto" G.