[LMB] Luna, and Space generally (was Arecibo)

WalterStuartBushell proto at panix.com
Tue Nov 24 20:50:15 GMT 2020

> On Nov 24, 2020, at 2:03 PM, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think you are dramatically underestimating the difficulty of human
> beings settling space.  Setting hostile environments on Earth - like the
> continental shelf, Antarctica, various deserts, etc. - would be far easier,
> and generally we don't bother because of how hard it is to eke out even a
> basic existence there.  Colonization efforts in the past have involved
> finding relatively hospitable locales and killing / exterpating the people
> already there, not marching into places without people and starting anew.
>
> Matt G.

Yes, Antarctica and Greenland are far friendlier places. For example, there
there is breathable air and water, not to mention resupply problems are easier.

I’ve heard that it takes about 50K people to maintain modern technology and
the Tasmanians lost fishing because they didn’t have enough people to keep
up the technology required.

Not to mention enslaving or shoving the inhabitants into subordinate roles.
We see this in the caste system in India, and the Indo European speaking
peoples invasion of the farming peoples of Europe where 40% of the genes
are from the previous peoples genes, but almost all from the female lineages.

According to the TaNaK the Hebrews sometimes allowed the virgin females
to survive and some people to live in subordinate status “hewers of wood
and drawers of water” again giving the invaders more access to females.

Again this was the policy in the Americas and Caribbean with the native
and enslaved Africans and their descendants.

Hmm, who we are and how we got here is apropos this group. Our ancestors
were eliminating or subordinating others groups from long before we were
remotely human.

—
It is wrong, always, everywhere, and for everyone, to believe anything upon insufficient evidence.”
 —W. K. Clifford (1845–1879), “The Ethics” My take is belief should be proportional to the evidence.