[LMB] OT: Tip

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 2 12:17:43 GMT 2021

From: "A. Marina Fournier" <saffronrose at me.com>

My personal tip:
If there is only one way out of the neighborhood you?re considering, it?s not safe in a disaster.

Gwynne: I couldn't agree more! Living in a fire-prone area, there are so many places
around here that I'd never consider, because of access. One area is around the top
of a mountain (ok, large hill. We don't actually have mountains) and the view is
wonderful, the homes up there are lovely... and there's one road to the place.
And it's narrow in places, and very windy. No way would you want to be doing that
at speed, in a panic, surrounded by smoke. They always evacuate early when there's
a fire warning. The children from around there were in the area for my school, when
I was teaching, and when school went back in February (we start the school year
at the end of January/beginning of February, as summer is hopefully winding down)
and we'd start with the usual 'What I did in the summer holidays' reports, which
often involved evacuation to granma's, or to the local club if they'd left it a bit late, and
there'd always be one or two who lost all or part of their home. So basically we did
trauma recovery. Great way to start the school year.

And since it's a rural area, most of the firefighters were their parents, so there were
some good stories, and some real fears, there too. One year we almost lost the school,
but the parents fought like tigers to save it, since their kids went there!