[LMB] OT: Internet Info?

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Thu Dec 2 12:21:28 GMT 2021

On Wed, 1 Dec 2021 20:40:46 +0000, Matija Grabnar via Lois-Bujold
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:

>On 01/12/2021 19:59, WILLIAM A WENRICH wrote:
>> The problem with getting information from the internet is not so much that some sites have particular worldview but that anyone can claim to be an expert on something they know nothing about.
>> I ranted before about the "100 Best Science Fiction Books" and "10 Best Science Fiction Series" that didn't mention Lois. Today I'll take on a movie expert who doesn't even do minimal research let alone actually watch the movie.
>> Recently I watched "White Christmas" with my grandmother. I remembered that the song was also in a movie called "Holiday Hotel" and I used googlefu to try to find the differences in the two movies. One sentence from the article said, "they wanted to help their old Sargent who had a hotel in Connecticut that was failing." The hotel was in Vermont and was in trouble due to lack of snow. He didn't even look at a list of songs to see "What Can You Do with a General."
>I agree. A lot of websites these days are "click farms" which produce
>low-effort articles. As long as the headline makes you click on the
>article, they get to show you the ads on the page, and they won. If you
>then click away in disgust, they don't care (but they still stuff the
>page with links to as many of their other articles as possible - just on
>the off-chance one of them will intrigue you enough).
>
>Because the articles are low-effort, the writers get terrible rates for
>them and have to produce a high number of them to get enough money to
>live on. So the quality is really low.
>
>The only cure I know is stick to websites that have not fallen to this
>level, and think twice before clicking on an intriguing title link (it's
>easy to fall for them, they are not called click-bait for nothing). For
>movie descriptions, I use imdb.com, and sometimes wikipedia.
>
>Is it possible you were looking for the movie "Holiday Inn", not Holiday
>Hotel? I'm a big fan of Bing Crosby (more as a singer than as an actor),
>but I don't think he made Holiday Hotel.
>
>He did make another movie called "White Christmas" (1954), some 12 years
>after Holiday Inn (1942).

I heartily recommend a browser plugin (one you actually - *gasp* - pay
for) called "just read".  It gives you the interesting page content
without all the crap, and is well worth a few bucks.
--
If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.