[LMB] Citizenship? - Oaths and Arde

Alex Kwan litalex at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 04:14:14 GMT 2021

Hello,

>> In a more extreme case, I can see a situation where accepting citizenship in another country might be considered treason by the original country (in cases of war, etc).

> From: "Harvey Fishman" <fishman at panix.com>
> That is the case with the United States, is it not?
> Harvey

> On Dec 2, 2021, at 22:46, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Gwynne: I'm not a great fan of dual citizenship. You should give your
> loyalty - your legal obligations - to one country. It's fine to have feelings
> for 'the old country' - especially if you have family there. But you belong
> to one country, you have legal (and moral, and ethical) obligations to that
> country. (Also, dual citizenship can often be used for some rather shady
> enterprises, to avoid obligations to one country or the other.)

Well, as someone who sorta have dual citizenship, it really depends. I moved to the US when I was 10, but then back to Hong Kong when I was 23 for job opportunities. After things got really messed up there in 2019, I wouldn’t have been able to move back to the US if I didn’t have US citizenship… I guess I would have to apply for asylum or something.

I mean, I voted in Hong Kong, back when elections still meant something. Not much, but at least it was sorta real. And now… I’m so glad I was able to move back to the US.

little Alex