[LMB] Citizenship? - Oaths and Arde

Kathy Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Fri Dec 3 16:23:23 GMT 2021

On Dec 3, 2021, at 2:19 AM, B. Ross Ashley <brashley46 at gmail.com> wrote:

> In my own case, I was considered to have implicitly renounced US citizenship in 1974 when I swore to Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada, although that was not considered treasonous, the two jurisdictions not having been at war since 1815; the US Supreme Court has since decided otherwise, and I could be a dual citizen if I wished to be. (De gustibus non disputandem est.)

In the case of British and US citizenship, my understanding is that as long as you don’t explicitly renounce either of them, both countries are more or less willing to look the other way.  At least, the US would not look kindly on anyone voting or serving in the armed forces in the UK, but the UK doesn’t seem to mind.  My husband and children are dual citizens (though it’s a bummer that their UK passports are no longer valid throughout the EU).

Katherine