[LMB] Citizenship? - now OT:

Kathy Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Fri Dec 3 19:56:07 GMT 2021

On Dec 3, 2021, at 11:41 AM, Markus Baur via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:

> jus sanguinis vs. jus soli
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli>
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_sanguinis <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_sanguinis>
Yes.  When we wanted to get UK passports for the children, I spent some time looking for how to claim their UK citizenship before I realized that they were in fact already UK citizens, by jus sanguinis; we just had to apply for passports for them.  It would be different for me — I could acquire UK citizenship as the spouse of a citizen, but it would require a process to do so.  And at least the last time I looked into this, I could just get a “letter of consent” which would allow me to live and work in the UK as the spouse of a citizen, without acquiring citizenship.  But as I’m now retired and we’re unlikely to do more than vacation and visit family in the UK, it doesn’t seem necessary.

Katherine, permanently settled in rural upstate NY, with children and grandchildren not too far away