[LMB] Citizenship? - now OT:

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Sat Dec 4 03:13:17 GMT 2021

On Fri, 3 Dec 2021, B Van Look wrote:
> For dual citizenships... can you *vote* in both countries? Or does
> registering to vote in one preclude voting in another?

I have friends who are dual American-Canadian citizens. They certainly can
vote in federal elections in both countries. US citizens living in Canada
can vote in US state elections, I gather in the last state they resided
in (AFAIK).

One considerable drawback to dual nationality is that one could be
conscripted in both countries, and subject to extraterritorial measures by
a country in which one has citizenship. This is a problem if one of your
nationalities is Iranian, or Chinese, etc.

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca