[LMB] Citizenship? - now OT:

Markus Baur baur at chello.at
Sat Dec 4 05:53:34 GMT 2021

that depends on the countries and their election laws .. which can lead
to legal and political curlicues

example .. austria has a lot of turkish descended citizens .. according
to austrian law double citizen ship is only rarely granted, and even in
these cases if your primary place of living is in austria you are not
allowed to vote in other nations elections ..

but turkey gives citizenship and the right to vote to turkish descended
people living abroad (that btw also means that young men are potentially
eligible to be drafted for both the austrian and turkish army .. fun,
fun, fun)

a few years ago one of our political parties (a right wing one) got hold
of a voter registration list for the turkish presidential elections -
actual voting was in the turkish embassy. authorites are currently
working their way through the list and are rescinding austrian
citizenships for a good percentage of the people on the list ..

servus

markus