[LMB] Citizenship? - now OT:

Edith khoreutees at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 4 16:50:23 GMT 2021

On 04/12/2021 04:13, alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca wrote:

> One considerable drawback to dual nationality is that one could be
> conscripted in both countries, and subject to extraterritorial
> measures by a country in which one has citizenship. This is a problem
> if one of your nationalities is Iranian, or Chinese, etc.

Depends on the countries, I believe. For example, there is a European
Convention on Nationality that explicitly provides that a citizen of two
or more signatory states only has to do military service in one of them.
There may be other bilateral agreements that make similar rules. And, of
course, in some countries you can age out of the obligation if you
contrive to be out of the country long enough.

In Switzerland (or at least in Geneva) they joke that the dual
Swiss-French nationals always choose to the French military service
because in most cases that means attending a single one day information
session.