[LMB] Citizenship? - Oaths and Arde

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 5 06:04:13 GMT 2021

I have a couple of two cents about passports and citizenship I wanted to add.

I can easily imagine the Counts choosing to ignore the problems of inter-galactic citizenship, and just coasting until it becomes a huge problem.

A young heir, turned loose on the universe, bends rules that were meant ONLY for on-Barrayar folks. The new Barrayaran citizen turns out to be no problem; fairly quiet, and also reasonably working in favor of the Empire. Sweep it under the rug, and don't even ask about his dual citizenship.

Some far-sighted wise folks (possibly lady lawyers concerned with inheritance) will push for clarity in the law, but they'll be drowned out by the older "it's not broken yet; let's wait and see" crowd.

What's my real-world basis for arguing this? Well, there was a politician named Renho in Japan, who had a Taiwanese father and Japanese mother. She had to show her family register to "prove" she was Japanese, and she even took the step of going to the Taiwanese embassy (consulate?) to renounce her Taiwanese/Chinese citizenship. Even so, bigots in her own party and on the right made things uncomfortable enough that she resigned soon after the scandal.

So, when there was a problem (scandal), The Law became a big deal. But in general, Japan has a very "de facto" way of ignoring (or "tolerating") dual citizenships. Here's the article.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjm3_Gi-cv0AhWGLJQKHXz1DeUQFnoECAQQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fglobalcit.eu%2Fde-jure-and-de-facto-tolerance-of-dual-citizenship-in-japan-lessons-from-the-renho-controversy%2F&usg=AOvVaw1-5vDRBGLG99sVz-eJmDXj

It's got some interesting things to say about Korean people who were subjects of the Emperor, but don't have citizenship -- compare to the Komarran situation.

I'm very worried about the link -- apparently how one can copy links has changed while I was off the computer for so many months. This is a December 11, 2017 post by EUI Global Citizenship Observatory, titled: De jure and de facto tolerance of dual citizenship in Japan: lessons from the Renho controversy. By contributors Sayaka Osanami Torngren (two dots over o in Torngren) and Hyoue Okamura.

Asahi Shimbun covers the position of the law: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj_-pPP98v0AhXU7WEKHelrAZAQFnoECAIQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.asahi.com%2Fajw%2Farticles%2F14127802&usg=AOvVaw2sdotWMMOmjPLXeytk-6UI Asahi Shimbun, January 22, 2021, Abe Shunsuke staff writer, "Court: Ban on dual citizenship prevents friction between nations."

The court's view is much like Gwynne's: one loyalty.

In my view, though, I think multiple citizenships make it easier to put one's loyalty to the betterment of the world, rather than just one country. It makes it easier for translators and cultural representatives to pass back and forth between countries, strengthening ties and bonds and promoting peace.

And cynically, if everything goes to shit in one country, one can move to the other one. That's one reason why I want my grandchildren to have dual citizenship. But, honestly, if North Korea bombs Hokkaido by accident, I'm not sure moving to the US is really the best move for us. But I guess I'll wait and see.

This CNN piece has a few interviews with dual citizens, and why they like their citizenships the way they are. Good reading.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj_-pPP98v0AhXU7WEKHelrAZAQFnoECDQQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fedition.cnn.com%2Ftravel%2Farticle%2Fasia-dual-citizenship-intl-hnk-dst%2Findex.html&usg=AOvVaw3Qlzpfx9BWBwC0FuKdy4pn

CNN Travel, Jessie Yeung CNN, updated March 16, 2021. These Asian countries are giving dual citizens an ultimatum on nationality -- and loyalty

Micki