[LMB] OT: Tip

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Sun Dec 5 06:45:33 GMT 2021

On Dec 3, 2021, at 2:06 PM, Lucy Chubb <lucy at chubb.wattle.id.au> wrote:

> Just generally have a look at historic flood patterns. (from personal experience:
> as a childhood home was prone to regular flash flooding... my parents didn't
> choose to live there particularly, it's just that it was cheap because of the
> flooding and they couldn't afford elsewhere).

Absolutely! Looking at flooding data was part of the escrow/purchase process. It determined whether the financial entity would insist on flood insurance.

>> On Fri, Dec 03, 2021 at 08:38:39AM -0600, Tony Zbaraschuk via Lois-Bujold wrote:
>> Further tip: Be wary of houses where the ground slopes away from the road
>> toward the house.  Very interesting things happen in heavy rainstorms.

Remember those oh-so-picturesque creaks/mountain streams on/at the edge of the property in breakup/spring melt/general flooding? Kinkade never depicted the downsides.

How high is the water table (FL and other low-lying states)? The soil (how heavy is the clay there)? Known artesian wells (Claremont CA &c)? What’s your source for drinking/cleaning water? How dependable is it in a disaster? The small water companies in the Santa Cruz mountains after Loma Prieta, and various wells with no electricity then, some places for months.

A. Marina Fournier
saffronrose at me.com
Valley of Heart’s Delight. CA
Sent from iFionnghuala