[LMB] Citizenship? - Oaths and Arde

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Sun Dec 5 13:25:49 GMT 2021

On Sun, 5 Dec 2021, Gwynne Powell wrote:
> To add to the fun: A few years ago fifteen politicians in our Federal
> government had to resign because someone dug up a dusty old
> section of the Constitution that everyone had forgotten about, which
> states that you can't be elected to our parliament if you have any
> allegiance to a foreign power - including dual citizenship.
>
> The funniest part was that most of them didn't even know that they
> had dual citizenship. There was a lot of scrambling around, checking old
> family documentation, and trying to rescind things.

That story hit the news here in Canada, too.

Up here, a former leader of the Conservative Party got considerable heat
for having dual US-Canadian citizenship (and knowing he did). People don't
object to dual citizenship in general, but not for someone vying to become
Prime Minister

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor