[LMB] OT: Tip

WILLIAM A WENRICH wawenri at msn.com
Sun Dec 5 21:33:18 GMT 2021

I thought that it would be a good idea to elaborate on my previous post. We own our house and have lived here for more than 35 years. About thirty some years ago we notice the ground in part of our yard was soggy, I dug down about four feet and found a joint in our main water line was leaking. I fixed it with a sleeve, filled in the hole, and it held for thirty years. This fall my water bill started to increase and I found the same soggy patch again. I was going to dig it out and repair again, however I'm not in my  forties anymore and the roots from the tree are much bigger.
The first company I  called decided that digging the hole would be too much work because they had problems hiring people and cancelled the contract. The second refused because he was going out of town until next year. The third came out looked at the start of the hole and said that they would start work on it on Monday (tomorrow). The fix should cost about $8,000.
No house is perfect and we have enjoyed living here. We raised our two sons from elementary school through college here.
The landscape planner the people who lived here before us used didn't seem to know that water runs downhill.  I replaced the sloped crushed rock walkways with Walkmaker form concrete cobblestones over the course of four years. (I used about six and a half tons of concrete, mixed by hand.) Also, the East wall of our house is at the bottom of a slope and water was coming through the wall. A friend and I put up a three foot concrete wall (notice a trend) next to the house and changed the slope to drain away.
There is always work to do when you have a house, but it's easier when you are in your thirties and forties than your seventies.

William A Wenrich
Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me.