[LMB] Citizenship? OT:

Carol Botteron cjbotteron at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 03:53:36 GMT 2021

My grandfather's father was born in Switzerland (the French-speaking
"cheese" part).  As I understand it, my grandfather could have acquired
Swiss citizenship, my father might have been able to, but I can't.

A feature of Swiss citizenship is that you have to be accepted as a citizen
of some city/town/village.  My family could probably have become citizens
of my great-grandfather's home village (unless the locals disliked us) but
some people have had problems with this feature.

"Richard G. Molpus" <rgmolpus at flash.net> wrote:
   In theory, my father was eligible for Swiss citizenship, as he was the
grandson of a male Swiss citizen. Unfortunately, it was thru his mother,
who's birth had not been registered in her father's native Canton in time,
so the opportunity lapsed.
   Oh, well... would have made my security clearance harder to get...