[LMB] Citizenship? - Oaths and Arde currently OT:

Edith khoreutees at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 20:06:28 GMT 2021

On 06/12/2021 16:46, Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Dec 2021 08:07:53 +0000 (UTC), "M. Haller Yamada via
> Lois-Bujold" <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Micki: Oh, for goodness sakes! Well, I guess that's a hint to those of us living abroad with kids to keep all those old passports, renunciation statements, etc.
Edith: Absolutely. See also, the Windrush scandal in the UK for why
obsessively keeping documentation is useful.
>> Micki: I was under the impression that some countries granted citizenship to grandchildren of citizens under certain cases. Are they already dual citizens, even if they don't "activate" it by getting a passport or other stuff?
> Marc: Ireland is one such; if you have documentary proof of at least one Irish
> grandparent, you can get an Irish passport.  Applications went up by
> around 700% after Brexit.
Edith: Ireland certainly requires an application, though. I think the
same is true of most countries that permit citizenship based on a
grand-parent's status. I found a few that are not, but almost all of
those are limited to children born in the country and with a citizen
grand-parent, so not quite the situation where someone could have
citizenship without being aware of it. However, one thing that sometimes
comes up in this context is states arguing that they can make decisions
based on someone's eligibility for foreign citizenship even if that
person does not actually currently have the citizenship in question. I
don't remember if that came up in any of the Australian cases, but I
know it was relevant in the Shamima Begum case in the UK (and others,
but that one got a fair amount of attention).