[LMB] Citizenship? - Oaths and Arde

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Tue Dec 7 00:25:12 GMT 2021

On Dec 5, 2021, at 9:13 AM, Harvey Fishman <fishman at panix.com> wrote:

> I THINK that I am a United States citizen and a citizen of New York State. I was born in Brooklyn, in New York; my mother was born in Brooklyn and my father was born in Poland and naturalized under his father's papers.

In 1984, while applying for a passport, I presented my birth certificate for a Child of US Citizens Born Abroad, my baptismal certificate, and my naturalization certificate obtained when I was about 10. The State Department employee looked at the last, and asked why I had that unnecessary document.

My sperm-donor was harassing his ex-wife, or soon to be so wife, by telling her I had to be naturalized. Erm, no. I didn’t qualify for Japanese citizenship: there are people of one Japanese parent who can’t get it. One woman in particular with a German father was even born in Japan—not on a military base—and can’t get Japanese citizenship!

My mother was Not Amused when I told her.

Miles wouldn’t have had that issue, if only because Betans were well-informed about citizenship issues in a Galactic community. My father was nothing like Aral, blast it.