[LMB] Citizenship? - Oaths and Arde

Harvey Fishman fishman at panix.com
Tue Dec 7 16:45:32 GMT 2021

------ Original Message ------
From: "Raymond Collins" <rcrcoll6 at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold."
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Bcc: fishman at panix.com
Sent: 12/6/2021 11:52:05 PM
Subject: Re: [LMB] Citizenship? - Oaths and Arde

>According to the 14th Amendment anyone born in the United States is
>automatically a US citizen. Even children of foreign officials who are
>stationed here.
I question that second part: " Section 1. All persons born or
naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction
thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they
reside. " Foreign officials, i.e. those in the employ of a foreign
government, are not subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.

There is currently a movement in New York State to grant the vote to
legal residents, i.e. Green Card Holders, who are not citizens. This is
obviously only for State and local elections, but... I am not sure of
the case with felons.

Harvey