[LMB] Citizenship? - Oaths and Arde

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Tue Dec 7 23:21:17 GMT 2021

On Tue, Dec 07, 2021 at 01:12:03PM -0500, Elizabeth Holden wrote:

> I suspect the system on Beta Colony is like the American system, and that

Hmm, Beta would have naturally inherited the American system of jus
soli, as an American colony, and the issue would have been moot until
the discovering of wormholes and connecting Beta to the Nexus.

However, we know that Beta controls its population growth tightly even
for citizens, so I suspect they don't want to give citizenship to
visitors who happened to give birth on Beta.

America does also use jus sanguinis: the children of American citizens
are citizens, whereever they're born.  It seems likely that Beta does
too: while I don't know of any text that outright says Miles or Mark
have Betan citizenship, Miles has a Betan passport in TWA, and both
Miles and Cordelia think Mark would have an easy option of living with
Cordelia's family on Beta.  Given that neither child is authorized by
Betan standards, that's pretty generous of them...

> My guess is that Barrayar, Komarr, and Sergyar each have their own
> residency/citizenship laws, but that it's all connected at the top by
> Barrayaran custom. Oaths would be the important feature on Barrayar;
> contracts on Komarr; perhaps a combination of both on Sergyar?

Komarr isn't *all* about contracts, they're not Jackson's Whole.  I
think it's Cryoburn that clarifies Komarrans get one unalienable vote as
birthright via citizenship; those votes are just swamped to some degree
by all the planetary share votes.

> I am wondering how big the population of Sergyar is by the end of
> "Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen."

"Cordelia rode herd on some two million colonists on behalf of Emperor Gregor"

-xx- Damien X-)