[LMB] OT: Sense of the list

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 9 13:20:13 GMT 2021

From: Raymond Collins <rcrcoll6 at gmail.com>

Are you talking about Jane Elliot (n?e Jennison) who showed to her third
grade students, first hand, how being a targeted as inferior because of
their skin, hair and eye color. And
who showed how irrational it was to judge people how they looked like?
I'd like to point on the documentary I watched, a long time ago, that she
lectured  her students on why it's bad to judge people on what they looked
like.
Her approach was to eradicate racism through how people judged each other
based on appearance.

Gwynne: It was a good idea - I looked into it because I wanted to try it with
a class. But there were a lot of problems with it, depending on the age and
development of the children, and the way it was received. It could become
too heavy-handed, and not encourage the understandings that were desired.