[LMB] OT: Sense of the list

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 9 15:08:04 GMT 2021

From: WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com>

I am not referring to an experiment. I am talking about what happened to my son Brian. It may have been based on an experiment or a teacher following something that she read. I don?t remember all of the details.
Personally, I think such tactics in a classroom is child abuse. It doesn?t make any difference whether the teacher calls out ?blue eyed blonds? or people with ?slanted eyes? or people with dark skin, it?s wrong.
William A Wenrich

Gwynne: If it's done, there has to be clear understanding about the whole
process; it can't just be thrown at the children with little explanation. There
has to be explanation, discussion, a session of the activity (of varying length
depending on the age of the children) and then more discussion, examining
the feelings, thinking about how this affects people long-term. But it's not
as simple as it sounds; as with William's son there might be other factors that
make the child feel picked on, in a way that doesn't help them understand
the point of the whole thing. (And it sounds as if that teacher really didn't do
it properly.) Another problem is that it can cause problems for non-white
children in the group; they can feel targetted, and embarrassed because they're
made to feel different in ways they hadn't noticed before. It's a bit of a
minefield, really. The person running it has to be really good at it, to make
it work properly.