[LMB] Citizenship? - Oaths and Arde

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Thu Dec 9 22:57:26 GMT 2021

> On Dec 9, 2021, at 2:53 PM, Beatrice Otter via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk <mailto:lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>> wrote:
>
> There's other reasons for needing to record marriages, though property is a big one. Do married couples have legal perqs (such as an advantageous tax status or not being required to testify against one another)? Then it needs to be legally recorded.
>

> Also, if there's any legal disadvantages to bastardy, you need good records of marriages so you can tell for sure who is and is not legitimate.

When the Lord was in charge of all of his serfs, they all had allegiance to him.   Their bastard status didn’t matter to him.   They didn’t have tax advantages for being married.

Keeping track of such statuses wasn’t important except for diplomatic and property reasons.  Most people had neither.

Agggh, I had to send this twice.  I wish I could fix what’s making my replies pick the howardbrazee at mac to send, or to get the Listserve to accept that address.