[LMB] Citizenship? - Oaths and Arde

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Thu Dec 9 23:41:51 GMT 2021

On Dec 9, 2021, at 2:19 PM, Jason Long <sturmvogel66 at gmail.com> wrote:

> IIRC, the Anglican Church made a big deal out of recording birth and
> marriages in each parish, beginning during the reign of Elizabeth I in the
> 1560s.
>
> On Thu, Dec 9, 2021 at 4:53 PM Beatrice Otter wrote:
>
>>> On Dec 9, 2021, at 6:12 AM, Gwynne Powell wrote
>>> Gwynne: I'm wondering about the accuracy of record-keeping on Barrayar.
>>> Weddings don't have any civil record at all, at least at the time, and no need
>>> for licences - there's no mention of it, but presumably the union has to be
>>> registered somewhere? At some point?
>>
>> ---- On Thu, 09 Dec 2021 05:49:03 -0800 Howard Brazee <mailto:
>> howard at brazee.net> wrote ----
>> There’s a long history of marriages not being registered.   When the
>> people being married are indentured servants or worse, that record isn’t
>> really useful.   It is when property rights are important that the record
>> is important.
>>
>> Beatrice Otter:
>>
>> There's other reasons for needing to record marriages, though property is
>> a big one. Do married couples have legal perqs (such as an advantageous tax
>> status or not being required to testify against one another)? Then it needs
>> to be legally recorded.

There was the parish register, and at least for weddings at an Anglican/CofE church, I believe there were documents referred to as ‘marriage lines’ given to the couple.

ISTR that Quaker and Jewish marriages were, at least in England for the longest time, not acknowledged by (at least the CofE) the civil authorities. Not up for a search for when that changed.

A. Marina Fournier
saffronrose at me.com
Valley of Heart’s Delight. CA
Sent from iFionnghuala