[LMB] Jole in the Vor Game

Raye Johnsen raye_j at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 10 01:10:36 GMT 2021

On Friday, December 10, 2021, 09:37:58 AM GMT+10, James Powell <feelie.king at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm curious, did Lois know when she wrote The Vor Game that Jole and Aral> were lovers?  It seems like a heck of a character beat to sit on for> twenty-six years!
When I first read The Vor Game, I thought it was pretty clear that Aral was attracted to Oliver.  But, as a monogamous asexual with monogamous parents who had witnessed her parents having crushes on other people during their marriage that they did not act on, and having myself had a crush on someone while being involved someone else and NOT acting on that crush whilst staying faithful to my partner (whew! what a mouthful! but I think you get it), I thought Aral was in the same position.  That is, liking Oliver but not acting on it.  Appreciating him for the wonderful man he was/is, but, you know, appreciating.  Not pushing.  And that Oliver was impressed and had some fanboying and hero-worship going on for Commodore Lord Vorkosigan.  But not actual love.
Thinking about it in light of later revelations, I think that at that stage I was probably right because they had just met each other and it takes time for people to get to know and fall for each other.  But the seeds were there and I won't deny that if Aral had been single I would probably have been shipping with the best of them.  (Weird thing about me - if a character is in a canon relationship I just don't ship them with anyone else.  Infidelity is NOT one of my turn-ons.)
Raye
raye_j at yahoo.com
I believe in dragons, unicorns, good men and other mythical creatures. bujold

|  |
Lois-Bujold Info Page