[LMB] age differences

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 10 09:38:08 GMT 2021

(bottom-posted)

On Wednesday, December 8, 2021, 02:58:49 AM GMT+9, <adkinslawfirm at mindspring.com> wrote:

When the Sharing Knife books first came out, some readers were scandalized by the age difference between Dag and Fawn.  Others of us, familiar with older Harlequins & other romances, were more comfortable with the pairing of a woman of 17 and a man who looked 35.

Oddly enough, two of the couples in _A Civil Campaign_ have similar age differences, with the men being about twice the age of their future wives.  Delia and Olivia are 24 and 22; Duv and Dono are both well into their 40s.  Yet I don't recall anyone on the list squawking, making "cradle-robbing" comments, or any other protest.

Why the furor in the fantasy, but not the science fiction?  "Is a puzzlement."

Jerrie

--
Micki says:

I was one of the people slightly squicked out at first by the age difference between Dag and Fawn. I think there are a lot of differences besides just age! I'll just list a few that struck me.

Delia and Olivia are both women who have graduated college, not 17-year-olds.

There's a distance -- Fawn and Dag's romance is front and center. Delia and Olivia couldn't even be called the secondary couples in this case. LOL, so many couples whirling around in ACC. Could have been called Cotillion!

Fawn is still a bit fragile . . . bad relationship, pregnancy then miscarriage . . . really in a sensitive place and it's a good thing Dag was a good guy!

Dag had been married before; Duv hadn't. Dono hadn't been a married man before. LOL, now that you bring it to my attention, it's really squicky from the outside (Dono is the damaged one, though, here), but it's easy in that book to put things in the best possible light -- it's supposed to be a happy romance!

Which I suppose should get its own paragraph. ACC is very much a happy, romantic story. The Sharing Knife is underlaid with lots of tragedy, and while we feel in good hands with Lois as far as character's relationships go (at least in the final outcomes), you never know when an author is going to Go Rogue and kill everyone.

By the end of a few chapters, Fawn had proved herself to be strong and clever. And Dag had also showed that he wasn't a rogue and a knave. So, I wasn't so squicked out any more.

Micki