[LMB] Citizenship? - Oaths and Arde

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 10 09:45:53 GMT 2021

On Wednesday, December 8, 2021, 03:12:27 AM GMT+9, Elizabeth Holden <alzurite at gmail.com> wrote:

On Dec 6, 2021, at 8:52 PM, Raymond Collins <rcrcoll6 at gmail.com> wrote:
> According to the 14th Amendment anyone born in the United States is
> automatically a US citizen. Even children of foreign officials who are
> stationed here.

Elizabeth: Speaking as a non-American, this strikes me as vaguely terrifying. But it's
the same in Canada. And if you don't want to be American/Canadian?  I guess
you sort it out with the nationality you do want. I have cousins who were
born in Argentina (of Canadian parents), but grew up in Canada: when they
were in their late teens, they said they were eligible for the draft in
Argentina, and so didn't intend to visit there.

(snip interesting citizenship angles)

Micki: I've been told if you don't want to be American, it can be time-consuming, costly and frustrating to renounce citizenship. Here's a little bit . . . they don't address the cost aspect.

Renunciation of U.S. Nationality Abroad (state.gov) (Ugh, sorry, forgot links don't work, and I have to make supper -- you can google it and look for the state.gov website.)

Anyway, better do it before you incur major tax obligations to the US. And don't wind up stateless if you can help it!!!

(joking, not joking.)

Micki