[LMB] Citizenship? - Oaths and Arde

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Fri Dec 10 14:20:45 GMT 2021

On Thu, 09 Dec 2021 23:50:37 +0000, "Harvey Fishman" <fishman at panix.com>
wrote:

> [...]

In the UK, a marriage¹ is registered by the civil authorities.  Certain
ministers of religion are empowered to act as registrars - and it's
actually the dull bit at the end, where the register is signed, that
makes it a legal marriage.  In law, at least, the rest is merely
window-dressing.

Quakers and Jews are exempt from the restrictions of the Marriage Act,
and for instance Jews are able to be married outdoors in England, as
long as it's under a chupah.  In England, you have to be inside a
building - though this is under review.  In Scotland, the law merely
requires a place that is "safe and dignified".

¹I'm using marriage as a generic term, as there is also the option of a
Civil Partnership, which is what my wife and I had.  Originally, this
was only for same-sex couples, but it was challenged in the High Court
under discrimination legislation and was changed in 2019.
--
You can't get through life without playing the fool now and then -
but that's no reason to audition for the part.