[LMB] Citizenship? - Oaths and Arde

Elizabeth Holden alzurite at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 17:05:03 GMT 2021

On Mon, 6 Dec 2021, Marc Wilson wrote:

> I'm conflicted on this: I understand that it's possible for it to be
> misused, on the other hand if I had the funds I would absolutely get an
> EU passport by any means available, because the UK is seemingly
> speedrunning the Goebbels playbook.

My father was born in England and I believe I could have got a UK passport,
if I had ever had the spare money and inclination. I believe I looked into
it when I went to live there, and concluded that my Canadian passport and
student permit would do fine. I wonder if having a UK passport would have
increased my chances of further UK studies.

And I suppose it would have been handy for European travel, though again,
I'm not sure whether there would have been a practical difference. And I
suppose I could still get it - without the Eu benefits. It doesn't look as
appealing as it once did.

In absence of more detailed information in the books about interplanetary
travel, I don't think we can do much but guess that they have systems
similar to ours, possibly refined somewhat. I don't remember Miles having
any trouble going anywhere - or Gregor either, in stealth mode - but that's
a special case scenario. Miles does many things other people can't, or
won't.

namaste,
Elizabeth