[LMB] [OT] Barrayaran Terraforming - an example

Markus Baur baur at chello.at
Fri Dec 10 18:58:22 GMT 2021

there were some speculation in serious SF on using enhanced radiation
fusion weapons (aka neutron bombs) and unshielded nuclear reactors to
clear land areas of life as preparation for terraforming ..

the unshielded reactors would be something like this..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BREN_Tower

or the Tower Shielding Facility at Oak Ridge

https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/303930

For terraforming / land sterilisation purposes the tower most likely
would not be as high at the BREN tower and mobile

i could see two railroad tracks carrying two shorter towers, some
distance apart - the reactor would shuttle on a cable car suspended
between the two towers and the cable car would be moved from "left to
right" (or vice versa) between the two towers to irradiate a "line" ..
whenever a "line" was finished the towers would progress a bit along the
rail tracks to start irradiating the next "line"

servus

markus