[LMB] age differences

Lois Aleta Fundis loisaletafundis at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 20:57:04 GMT 2021

One thing I've learned from reading hisstory -- and not just historical
fiction -- is that a lot of things our era finds squicky were not a
problem, or not much of one, for people in other generations and other
cultures.

A couple of months ago I read a biography about the Empress Matilda --
daughter of Henry i of Engliand, granddaughter of Saint Margaret of
Scotland, and mother of  King Henry II (and thus mother-in-law of Eleanor
of Aquitaine)*, among her other claims to fame -- who was sent to Germany
at age 8l, I think it was, to marry the Holy Roman Emperor at the time, who
was considerably older (30? I forget now).  The biographer did not believe
the marriage was connusmated, but such marriages among royalty was not
uncommon in those days. Those days being the 12th Century.

*Reminds self to watch "The Lion in Winter", one of my favority Christmas
movies!