[LMB] age differences

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Fri Dec 10 21:10:30 GMT 2021

> On Dec 10, 2021, at 1:57 PM, Lois Aleta Fundis <loisaletafundis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> One thing I've learned from reading hisstory -- and not just historical
> fiction -- is that a lot of things our era finds squicky were not a
> problem, or not much of one, for people in other generations and other
> cultures.
>
> A couple of months ago I read a biography about the Empress Matilda --
> daughter of Henry i of Engliand, granddaughter of Saint Margaret of
> Scotland, and mother of  King Henry II (and thus mother-in-law of Eleanor
> of Aquitaine)*, among her other claims to fame -- who was sent to Germany
> at age 8l, I think it was, to marry the Holy Roman Emperor at the time, who
> was considerably older (30? I forget now).  The biographer did not believe
> the marriage was connusmated, but such marriages among royalty was not
> uncommon in those days. Those days being the 12th Century.

Mahatma Ghandi was 13 when he married an older woman (she was 14).  They didn’t like each other at first, but learned to love each other later.

In the future there *will* be things that we think are normal, but which society thinks is swicky or worse.   We can guess in our SF, but we will miss.

In “Door Into Summer”, Heinlein predicted a future (which is our past), where “kink” is a word that couldn’t be used in mixed company without getting into a fight.   I liked the idea, and the choice of word, but he missed that “mixed company” wouldn’t be an issue.