[LMB] Executions

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 12 03:41:07 GMT 2021

From: Karen Hunt <huntkc at gmail.com>

Quartering ? for desertion in heat of battle.
      The Warrior's Apprentice ch 9, Diplomatic Immunity ch 5
Public exposure and starvation ? for treason committed by a Vor.
      Shards of Honor ch 5,  The Warrior's Apprentice ch 9
Beheading ? for dueling and for armsman disobeying a liege-lord in combat.
      Barrayar ch 8,  The Warrior's Apprentice ch 5
Hanging ? for various offenses, including impersonating a military officer.
      The Vor Game ch 13, Mirror Dance ch 11
Unstated means of execution ? for impersonating an Imperial Auditor and for
attempting to bribe an Imperial Auditor.
      Memory ch 16, A Civil Campaign ch 12
Unstated means of execution ? for attempting to assassinate one's Count or
Count's heir
      Mountains of Mourning

Gwynne: Thank you!  You know everything - you're a great resource.
I'd guess that Gregor has quietly stopped quartering, it's a bit too Bloody Centuries
for a modern Nexus-facing Barryar. Maybe just a simple firing squad?

Do all Vor get the posts for treason? I thought it was just Counts and their Heirs?
(Or is it that only Counts and their Heirs face the CoC for trial, instead of normal
courts? I know that Richars mentioned that.)

I'm going to guess that beheading has been (I was going to say axed, but...) abolished,
on the same grounds as quartering - a bit too bloody for modern tastes.

Hanging, yes, maybe, I can see them still using that.

Apparently firing squad hasn't been mentioned, but I can see that happening - and
being Barrayar they probably offered the offended parties, or their surviving
relatives, a spot in the line.

In Mountains of Mourning, when Pym is sent with Miles:
"One of the liveried men will be your bodyguard. And — if the story checks — the executioner."
So executions are done on the spot - and I'd guess by a one-man firing squad, I think that's
more likely than hanging.

Maybe each Count sets their own ground rules? Or would it be expected that all
Districts follow similar rules for something so important?