[LMB] Citizenship? - Oaths and Arde

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 12 08:55:36 GMT 2021

From: Raymond Collins <rcrcoll6 at gmail.com>

There is also the question of mutations and marriages. I'm not certain how
sophisticated the Bayyaryin knowledge of recessive genes would be, but one
would think a knowledge of a families genetic background would be a factor
in a marriage.

Gwynne: Ok, I'll check the text again, (Darn it, I'm being forced to read Bujold.
Oh how I suffer.)  But I think there's at least a hint that Harra wasn't regarded as
much of a prize on the marriage market, because she was the only one of her
mother's many pregnancies to survive, and without apparent damage.

I'm sure that people in the villages kept an eye on who was able to have 'clean'
babies, and who had serious problems. I'm also sure that inbreeding wasn't
uncommon, especially with small, isolated villages. But there's obviously
communication between the villages (when Miles goes there in Memory, Lem
knows all about the hydro dam another village has built, but admittedly that's
a lot later, and by then the villages have more contact with the outside.) From
what I know about life in isolate areas, I'd guess that there's get-togethers
between villages now and then, to encourage mingling.