[LMB] Citizenship? - Oaths and Arde

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 19:13:17 GMT 2021

On Sun, Dec 12, 2021 at 3:55 AM Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> From: Raymond Collins <rcrcoll6 at gmail.com>
>
> I'm sure that people in the villages kept an eye on who was able to have
> 'clean'
> babies, and who had serious problems. I'm also sure that inbreeding wasn't
> uncommon, especially with small, isolated villages. But there's obviously
> communication between the villages (when Miles goes there in Memory, Lem
> knows all about the hydro dam another village has built, but admittedly
> that's
> a lot later, and by then the villages have more contact with the outside.)
> From
> what I know about life in isolate areas, I'd guess that there's
> get-togethers
> between villages now and then, to encourage mingling.
> --

Now I wonder if the poor blighted Backhills had something similar to the
Scouring of the Giant, where the locals of several villages got together to
pull weeds and mosses out of the chalk giant. (google it, but not all pix
are safe for work.)
Are there places between villages that don't glow in the dark, and won't
poison adventurous teens who want to get to know each other a little better?

Horse fairs were also very good places to meet far-off strangers, from as
much as ten miles away.  A good way to avoid marrying your cousin!

Sylvia