[LMB] Citizenship? - Oaths and Arde

Margaret Dean margdean56 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 23:16:11 GMT 2021

On Sun, Dec 12, 2021 at 12:07 PM Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Choice of music?
> Is "traditional" wedding music considered religious?  A lot of
> pre-classical music was religious because that's where the money was.
>
> The "Here Comes The Bride"  processional wasn't originally religious, was
> it? more like opera.

Yes, the "Here comes the bride" processional is from the opera *Lohengrin*
by Richard Wagner.

The traditional recessional often paired with it is by Mendelssohn, and is
part of his incidental music for A Midsummer Night's Dream.

So neither is earlier than the 19th Century (which makes sense in that most
of our "traditional" wedding customs don't go any farther back than the
Victorian period), and I wouldn't say that either of them qualifies as
religious!

--Margaret Dean
  <margdean56 at gmail.com>