[LMB] OT: Tech marches on

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Mon Dec 13 02:13:48 GMT 2021

On Dec 12, 2021, at 5:57 PM, Robert Woodward <Robert_A_Woodward at comcast.net> wrote:

>> On Dec 12, 2021, at 2:43 PM, Fred <fred.fredex at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I recall a story I was told by my boss, at a startup company, in 1977. when
>> he was a new college grad, the place he went to work was proud to show him
>> a standard 19 inch rack full of electronics: "This is a 1-bit buffer". How
>> times have changed!
>
> When I started work (in 1973), we were dialing into the central computer using 300 baud modems (with an acoustic coupler - dialed the number, waited for the computer to answer, and inserted the phone into the coupler). A year or two later, the engineering group I was assigned to got a dedicated 600 baud line for its Tektronix graphics terminal. Several years later, 2400 baud modems were common (it was actually fast enough to keep up with my typing). About two decades later, ethernet connections for personal computers were common.

In 1982, 300 baud was what we connected to the mainframe three blocks away from our outpost office. We were overjoyed when in 1983 it went to 1200.

I’m not that fast a typist <35wpm, but I have had machines or connections where I had to wait for the processor to catch up.

A. Marina Fournier
saffronrose at me.com
Valley of Heart’s Delight. CA
Sent from iFionnghuala