[LMB] OT: Tech marches on

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 13 13:18:20 GMT 2021

From: Raymond Collins <rcrcoll6 at gmail.com>

I wouldn't be surprised if they still are using them. I had a friend who
specialized in computer systems from the seventies,  eighties and nineties
for the navy. He went around the world trouble shooting the computer
systems aboard navy ships.
I also had a chance to tour a nuclear submarine and was surprised to see
tubes glowing behind some of the consoles.

Gwynne: How much data is being lost as older formats become obsolete?
I remember seeing some stone cores and a collection of old tapes, disks,
etc - it was years of collected geological information, but there was no machine
left that could read any of it.
Archaeologists in the future are going to be seriously disappointed.