[LMB] OT: Tech marches on

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Mon Dec 13 16:51:13 GMT 2021

On Sun, 12 Dec 2021 20:09:01 -0800, "Jean Lamb" <tlambs1138 at charter.net>
wrote:

>I learned how to use punch cards in Air Force procurement in the late 70's;
>getting a Burroughs 3500 to talk to a Univac *something* was fun, since both
>the hospital and Base Supply had different computers than we did. We were
>told we would be on a real microcomputer someday. Our family visited there
>in 1989 and they were still using punchcards...
>
>Ah, the wonderfulness of transaction logs

Even after Sperry and Burroughs were "unified" as Unisys¹, it remains
non-trivial to get the two platform families to talk to each other.

¹In reality, Burroughs bought Sperry, though it was presented as a
merger.  The strapline was "The Power of Two", which was Spoonerised
before the ink was dry.
--
Patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons.
 - Bertrand Russell