[LMB] OT: Tech marches on

WILLIAM A WENRICH wawenri at msn.com
Mon Dec 13 17:25:04 GMT 2021

The biggest problem on Apollo 13 was that the onboard computer used vacuum tubes. The missiles I worked on in the late sixties used vacuum tubes. The first all computer job I had at Sandia was building a database for holding dosimeter records. One of the problems was that they wanted the records to be readable for 70 years. That has about 25 years yet to go. What we finally said was that the records were on 9 track tape, a tape machine was to be stored with them and they were to be periodically read and copied onto new media. I don’t know if that was ever done.

William A Wenrich

  *   A sinner dependent on God’s grace.