[LMB] OT: Tech marches on

Fred fred.fredex at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 15:02:07 GMT 2021

Marc Wilson:
It occurs to me that it's apparently easier to "harden" vacuum-tube tech
against EMPs than it is with solid-state equipment.

Fred:
that's because solid-state electronics is much more sensitive to sharp
voltage spikes than are vacuum tubes.

with transistors (et al) you can destroy the junction with a bit of
overvoltage. vacuum tubes exist in, well, pardon the pun, a vacuum. high
enough voltage on the plate or a grid may cause internal arcing, but most
likely it would survive just fine.